Disgruntled list members (long)

barre41 barre46@ibm.net
Sat, 29 Mar 1997 22:28:37 -0600

Jim wrote:

 Some Rock pianists and some
> church pianists keep time with the sustain pedal and that is what can
> drive a stop rail up unless the pedal travel is limited properly.  I
> wonder if anyone has found these rails to climb just from heavy playing
> alone.
>
> Jim Coleman, Sr.

The first time I ran into this type of problem the whole damper lift
tray was loose, its flanges either broke, one the center pin had walked
out and one actually sheared the center pin with pieces left in the
birdseye and in the felt bushing. If the damper pedal is allowed to
drive the tray all the way to the damper upstop it puts a tremendous
strain on the lift tray flanges. The piano involved was a Young Chang
and Don Mannino called my attention to the upstop capstan for the
sustain pedal. Yes if this force can shear the center pin it can
certainly drive the damper upstop up.

Norm Barrett.