Disgruntled list members (long)

Dan M. Hallett, Jr. dhalle@toolcity.net
Sat, 29 Mar 1997 13:20:43 -0500

Joel Rappaport wrote:

> Jim wrote:
> > <snip>
> > There is a certain minimun amount of courtesy which should be shown to
> > all who write on this list. If one feels offended, it might be well to
> > re-think the comments which appeared to be offensive.
> > <snip>
> > I Believe I have found a solution for some of this.  I have already
> > begun putting it into action. We all are suffering a little from the
> > large volume of posts we wade thru each day.
> >
> > Here is what I do. If I find that someone is obnoxious more than once,
> > his name goes on a little "stickie" above my screen. Each day when I
> > read my email, when I come to a post by one who is on my list, I just
> > automatically hit the delete button.  I don't read his/her posts anymore.
>
> Great observation and solution.  I noticed you said "more than once."  I
> recall a correspondent who took offence and started challenging one and
> all to tuning shoot-outs.  He was from Texas or Arizona or someplace
> like that.  But he did that only once and did appologize.  So I guess
> it's OK.  Well, my name will now be on a "stickie note" on Jim's
> computer.  <Grin>  Some newsreaders have a "killfile" where you can put
> in an email address and posts from that address automatically don't
> appear.  You can edit the killfile and reverse the command later, if you
> like.  Netscape Mail Reader does not have that, but I've read about it.
>
> > NOW FOR a technical point.
> >
> > A month ago I was called to fix a Grand in a recording studio which had
> > sticking damper problems caused by the damper upstop rail having been
> > pushed up to where the dampers were jamming 3/4" above rest position. I
> > figured that by resetting the stop rail, the problem would be solved.
> > Easy. Yesterday I was called back for the next tuning and found just a few
> > Bass dampers jamming again.  The stop rail had been raised again part way.
> > This time I not only reset the rail properly, but also took care of the
> > excessive pedal and trap lever travel which was forcing the stop rail
> > up.  It pays to be more thorough doesn't it?  Some Rock pianists and some
> > church pianists keep time with the sustain pedal and that is what can
> > drive a stop rail up unless the pedal travel is limited properly.  I
> > wonder if anyone has found these rails to climb just from heavy playing
> > alone.
> >
> > Jim Coleman, Sr.
>
> The excessive pedal and trapwork travel is what does it.  Additional
> pieces of hard felt or a new, thicker block of hammer felt glued on top
> of the trapwork lever will adjust this.  What do you think of the
> practice of drilling small holes in the damper stop rail and inserting a
> pin through the rail and into the case behind the rail?  I believe
> Baldwin does this normally.  I DO know that it is a hassle when I want
> to change the stop rail position later.  The stop rail definitely does
> climb from very heavy playing.

> [...]
Dear Jim & Joel & List:
Thank you for your comments. I've had several problems that were solved
because of shared information. I've noticed many who take time to dash
off a reply prior to leaving for a day's appointments. People who care
that much are needed, and I would not like to have them no longer being
contributors. Sticky notes are now in vogue.
As for me, I've looked for years to find a keyboard and other writing
implements that do not make mistakes. My search has been in vain.
Again, thank you to all who have unknowingly helped me, and a wonderful
Easter to you all.
Dan Hallett, Jr.
Registered Piano Technician
dhalle@toolcity.net