Disgruntled list members (long)

Joel Rappaport joelr@flash.net
Sat, 29 Mar 1997 00:53:25 -0600

Jim wrote:
> <snip>
> There is a certain minimun amount of courtesy which should be shown to
> all who write on this list. If one feels offended, it might be well to
> re-think the comments which appeared to be offensive.
> <snip>
> I Believe I have found a solution for some of this.  I have already
> begun putting it into action. We all are suffering a little from the
> large volume of posts we wade thru each day.
>
> Here is what I do. If I find that someone is obnoxious more than once,
> his name goes on a little "stickie" above my screen. Each day when I
> read my email, when I come to a post by one who is on my list, I just
> automatically hit the delete button.  I don't read his/her posts anymore.

Great observation and solution.  I noticed you said "more than once."  I
recall a correspondent who took offence and started challenging one and
all to tuning shoot-outs.  He was from Texas or Arizona or someplace
like that.  But he did that only once and did appologize.  So I guess
it's OK.  Well, my name will now be on a "stickie note" on Jim's
computer.  <Grin>  Some newsreaders have a "killfile" where you can put
in an email address and posts from that address automatically don't
appear.  You can edit the killfile and reverse the command later, if you
like.  Netscape Mail Reader does not have that, but I've read about it.

> NOW FOR a technical point.
>
> A month ago I was called to fix a Grand in a recording studio which had
> sticking damper problems caused by the damper upstop rail having been
> pushed up to where the dampers were jamming 3/4" above rest position. I
> figured that by resetting the stop rail, the problem would be solved.
> Easy. Yesterday I was called back for the next tuning and found just a few
> Bass dampers jamming again.  The stop rail had been raised again part way.
> This time I not only reset the rail properly, but also took care of the
> excessive pedal and trap lever travel which was forcing the stop rail
> up.  It pays to be more thorough doesn't it?  Some Rock pianists and some
> church pianists keep time with the sustain pedal and that is what can
> drive a stop rail up unless the pedal travel is limited properly.  I
> wonder if anyone has found these rails to climb just from heavy playing
> alone.
>
> Jim Coleman, Sr.

The excessive pedal and trapwork travel is what does it.  Additional
pieces of hard felt or a new, thicker block of hammer felt glued on top
of the trapwork lever will adjust this.  What do you think of the
practice of drilling small holes in the damper stop rail and inserting a
pin through the rail and into the case behind the rail?  I believe
Baldwin does this normally.  I DO know that it is a hassle when I want
to change the stop rail position later.  The stop rail definitely does
climb from very heavy playing.