hammers coming loose..

Gerard Gravina ggravina@ix.netcom.com
Fri, 28 Mar 1997 07:28:31 -0600 (CST)

You wrote:

>...one dealer in town has a vertical and the
>hammers are coming loose at the *top*. ..the question is what kind of
glue to use?..

Phil,

Put the action in a cradle and turn it upside down.  Using yellow glue
(Titebond) in a veternarian's syringe with a curved tip, apply a new
glue collar around each hammer/shank union.  The whole procedure should
take less than 30 minutes.

Addressing a similar problem on a piano still under warrantee, the
manufacturer instructed me to use thin viscosity CA glue.  Because I
may be the one changing the hammers some day, I think yellow glue is a
better choice.

Good luck.

Jerry Gravina, RPT
Babylon, NY