Difficult situations

Leslie W Bartlett lesbart@juno.com
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 23:10:18 -0500 (EST)

My wife and I just watched Dateline, and a story about a female high
school   teacher accused of seducing a 15 year-old boy. She was found
guilty and spent some time in prison, though she still holds to her
innocence.

I am aware that we, as technicians, frequently find ourselves in homes
with  only one individual besides ourselves, often of the opporsite sex.
"Sexual abuse" is flying around like wildfire today, reaching into homes,
schools, and churches. Some of the accusations are founded, and many are
not, being fabrications.

What precautions should we, the self-employed, often the singular
presence representing us, take to make sure that we don't find ourselves
the focus of such problems?  My wife, an elementary teacher, indicates
that teachers throughout the age spectrum, have to go to extremes to
protect themselves.  I suspect we, as a group, have not been involved
with this issue, but probably should be more aware of it and very careful
that we protect ourselves.

Case in point:  I am scheduled to tune (first time) in the home of a band
director in the school district for which I tune. The teacher indicated
he wouldn't be there when I got there, but his daughter will be home,
since she doesn't have sectionals that day.  I now think it prudent to
call and reschedule when an adult will be there.

"Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT after me"............
 On the other hand, too safe is better than too sorry.

Leslie Bartlett