Leather hinges

Maxpiano@aol.com Maxpiano@aol.com
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 21:37:43 -0500 (EST)

List -

I plan to check the archives tonight, but wonder if any antique experts are
out there who could give a bit of guidance in addition to what is there.

I do not specialize in antique instruments, but do help a customer out with a
square piano now and then.  Now I have been asked to service an older
instrument, the fore-runner of the square (same outward appearance but much
trimmer in form; 6 legs instead of four).  Does anyone know the name for
these?

The make, if that is of concern, is Gibson - Davis, "New York from London"

The owner is concerned to have all notes play.  The main problem I am
concerned about is to replace the leather hinges that have separated or are
getting weak on 6-8 hammers.  This instrument does not have dowel shanks or
butts, but a flat shank hinged with leather to the hammer rail.  The leather
does not go into a slot in the shank, but is glued to a mortised-out flat
area and backed up with a wood insert somewhat thicker than veneer.

Question:  what leather to use?  Will player-piano pouch leather work well?
 Any suggestion on separating the parts that encase the old leather, to avoid
damage to the wood?

I am not attempting a museum quality restoration, but do want to leave things
in such a state that if a proper restoration is ever done, it will be in good
shape for it.

Thanks for any ideas.

Bill Maxim, RPT