removing 88 butts

Warren Fisher fish@COMMUNIQUE.NET
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 18:39:42 -0800

Dan Litwin wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> There was a glitch in my e-mail software.  I hope this is not a duplicate
> message.
>
> Please inform of any tricks you may use to remove a whole set of shanks
> from butts in an old upright.  New butts are not going to be cost effective
> since they are "Steinway style" butts with standard double flanges.  Parts
> are not cheap, and pinning 88 hammers and nearly as many damper levers will
> add to that as well.
>
> So please send info only on shank removal from the butts.  The hammers are
> to be replaced anyway.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dan Litwin

Dan,

After you break half a dozen shanks trying to get them out of the butts,
you may wish you had replaced the butts also.  I haven't heard of any
production way to remove shanks from butts.  Pop the glue collar off
with a knife and get it warm with a heat gun, put your clamp on the
shank and pull it.  You can get some time savings by doing similar
things on about a dozen pieces at a time so you can build up a rhythm to
it.  If you have help available, one person heat and the other pull.

Hope this helps'

Warren
--
Warren D. Fisher