Marks inside pianos

James Grebe pianoman@inlink.com
Tue, 25 Mar 1997 18:32:09 -0600

----------
> From: Jon Page <jpage@capecod.net>
> To: pianotech@byu.edu
> Subject: Re: Marks inside pianos
> Date: Tuesday, March 25, 1997 4:48 PM
>
> Once you've written on all the keys, backchecks and hammer
> mouldings, I suppose you will have to start on a sheet of paper.
> So why not start there.
>
> For a new tuner coming to the piano, it is unimnportant when the
> last tuning was, aside from diagnosing tuning stability.

Dear John,
How can you say it is unimportant to a new tuner aside from giving the new
tuner an idea of how a previous tuning held up.  I t will certainly give
the tuner a great idea of what to expect from the piano.  This does not
have to do with ego but history of maintenance for this piano.  This idea
of tuning stability is the main point.
> What matters is the amount of work needed to get the piano in tune.

True this matters a great deal.

> Let's suppose you have half the keyboard scribbled on. The people
> move and decide to have a party 10 years down the line.  Someone
> attending will want to play the piano, so they call a tuner. Now this guy
> is going to do whatever he needs to, to get the piano at pitch - in tune.
> It is completely irrelevant if the piano was tuned every six months for
> ten years way back when they lived in wherever.

The other reason this tuning record is important is to give future
purchasers of this piano as to how well the owner took care of it for them.
 I have at least 1 piano I tune go through 3 different owners..
I guess I will agree to disagree with you on this one and I respect your
opinion as I hope you do mine

Regards,
James Grebe from St. Louis
pianoman@inlink.com

> Now when he sees this vandalism inside, he'll comment as I do. . .  .
> Wrong!
> I understand we all want to make our mark in the business, but I
> think it is only ego which needs to leave this calling card.
> A craftsman will sign his work with a discreet initial or signature,
> not mar someone's property with trivia.
>
> Remember, this is not your property; treat it with respect.
>
> Jon Page
> Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> At 03:53 PM 3/25/97 -0600, you wrote:
> >> From: Jon Page <jpage@capecod.net>
> >> To: pianotech@byu.edu
> >> Subject: Re: Marks inside pianos
> >> Date: Tuesday, March 25, 1997 7:23 AM
> >> Dear Jon,
> >.  I f another tuner takes> >over he has an independent record ,(not
from the owner) of when the different owners had the piano tuned.  If the
new owner looks in and sees my name using me will give me a line of
continuety tuning this piano since the new owners might have called another
tuner.  They thought since I am already familiar with this piano and
thought enough about it to record its' tuning history, that I should
continue to be the tuner for this piano.
  I t> >certainly is NOT graffiti.  I t is very important and these records
are
> >very important and not irrelevant and history is still important.
History
> >determines the future and can be a guide as to what to expect from the
> >piano owner. As far as putting something in the bench, my feelings are
that
> >I do not look in peoples benches, just as I do not open their drawers.
The