Marks inside pianos

Garret E. Traylor traylorg@kic.or.jp
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 08:47:50 +0900

I am amazed when the technician places their (adhesive) company sticker
on the plate.  I am even more amazed when they place it over the serial
number.  All to often I found this on the Steinways. It is almost as if
the technician feels that their company is now more important that the
piano?  More often than not the customer never sees this. It is placed
as a warning to other technicians.....  It reminds me of a dog marking
their territory. Really so unnecessary. There are more subtle, more
civilized and less damaging ways of marking your territory. Interaction
with the customer i.e.: phone calls, refrigator magnets, an occasional
post card or letter (not to mention good work), make a good impression
on the customer -- and foster current, and any future relationships
(refferals).

Garret Traylor
Equal Temperament Piano Services
Okinawa Japan