Marks inside pianos

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Tue, 25 Mar 1997 17:48:43 -0500 (EST)

Once you've written on all the keys, backchecks and hammer
mouldings, I suppose you will have to start on a sheet of paper.
So why not start there.

For a new tuner coming to the piano, it is unimnportant when the
last tuning was, aside from diagnosing tuning stability.
What matters is the amount of work needed to get the piano in tune.

Let's suppose you have half the keyboard scribbled on. The people
move and decide to have a party 10 years down the line.  Someone
attending will want to play the piano, so they call a tuner. Now this guy
is going to do whatever he needs to, to get the piano at pitch - in tune.
It is completely irrelevant if the piano was tuned every six months for
ten years way back when they lived in wherever.
The problem at hand is: what condition is it in now.

Now when he sees this vandalism inside, he'll comment as I do. . .  .

I understand we all want to make our mark in the business, but I
think it is only ego which needs to leave this calling card.
A craftsman will sign his work with a discreet initial or signature,
not mar someone's property with trivia.

Remember, this is not your property; treat it with respect.

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)