Steinway M problem

swinfo@g2g.com swinfo@g2g.com
Tue, 25 Mar 1997 15:04:04 -0500

The variability between pianos, even within the same styles are in the plate
castings, and more apparent in the individual rim.

Putting aside the marketing language, this is really what happens.
After the rims are bent (inner, outer simultaneously. maple etc...) the rims
need to be stored up to six weeks in a conditioning room. During the curing
process, (which is needed to allow the moisture to be removed as a result of the
glue, and to stabalize the rim ) each rim will finally settle and stop moving.
Try to imagine the amount of strain in this structure as it was bent. The final
shape of each rim will vary from piano to piano.
Just take a look at several Steinways. Look at the "straight side" or bass. Some
rims are straight, others bow inwards, others outwards, some in and out. The
actual contour from one model B is differant than the next. The span within two
rims from side to side may differ 1/2 inches...
Add to this the fact that plate castings were supplied from various foundries,
from differant moulds, and you have variability. To some degree thats good as
each performer/player select pianos for unique touch etc...
The plate fitter traditionally had to determine the best fit of a unique plate
within a unique rim. In some cases if the plate fitter only used the "spec"
the lag bolts would fall off the inner rim. In another instance the bolts will
run into the outer rim and excess grinding would be needed to fit the plate.
Therefore the factory gauges always had plus or minus marks...forget the
calipers here, I'm talking 3/16" in the bass, 1/8" in the treble.
>From here, this initial plate fitting setup provides the foundation of bellying
procedures which in turn results in unique capstan lines, backcheck lines, and
action stack height..which is all established by the forefinisher.
If you understand the requirements of the artist, this information may be
appreciated.
The goal is to keep within the structural elements which are of great
importance, and to limit the variablity to a level which makes sense. All pianos
no matter what variability there is, MUST PERFORM.

The reason for having the capstan screws interfere with the repetitions is a
simple one. The forefinisher made a mistake...please forgive the poor soul.

Mike Mohr
Steinway factory, LICNY