Steinway M problem

William Sadler sadle001@maroon.tc.umn.edu
Tue, 25 Mar 1997 12:10:21 -0600

At 10:39 PM 3/24/97 -0600, you wrote:
>I guess I don't understand why the action has to be force fitted, I
>mean fore-fitted to the key frame, because the capstain line position
>will vary from piano to piano due to finding the optimimum striking
>point.    The only thing that could be off is the plate and only in
>the V bar area.  Do the plates really vary that much? What are the
>tolerences any way? I guess only the factory knows the variance of
>the capstain line from piano to piano.
Where does the variation in pianos come from??

Yes and Yes.  The keys and keyframe are fit to the case as per appearance
and distance from the case cheek.  The case cheek may vary slightly. This
combined with the casting inconsistancies causes the differences in capstan
position from Steinway to Steinway.  The tolerences are build into the
wonderfulness of hand making a piano.

William C. Sadler-RPT    Home  : 612-339-5182
School of Music          Office: 612-624-8575
Piano Technician         Pager : 612-538-3577
University of Minnesota  E-mail: sadle001@maroon.tc.umn.edu