Steinway M problem

John W. McKone mckonejw@skypoint.com
Tue, 25 Mar 1997 08:42:38 -0500

Bob Davis writes:

>Somebody probably goofed slightly on this piano, but the click might still
>not show up at first. I don't remember if this piano still had angled
>capstans. I think so, and if so, even small things like knuckle and heel
>cushion compression can make a difference if the contact point is really
>close to the click point to start with. As they compress, and the capstan is
>raised to compensate, its contact point goes back a tiny tiny amount. Also,
>until it compresses, the heel cushion could hold the capstan away from
>contact with the wood. What I'm saying is that maybe this piano didn't click
>for a number of years.

You are right.  The click probably just started due to felt compression.
However I don't think raising capstans was a factor, the piano has not been
regulated in many years, and the hammers are setting right on the cushions.
I could be wrong, but I think this piano had straight capstans.

>If capstan placement was wrong to begin with, it wouldn't necessarily be
>deducible from the regulation. A difference of 2 mm in capstan placement does
>make a difference in the dip, but it's only about .015, which is tolerable.
>It will only change the downweight about 3 grams.

In this case we're talking about much greater distances - something like 8
- 10 mm

John McKone, RPT
St. louis Park, Minnesota
(612) 280-8375