pitch raising-was "reply"

James Grebe pianoman@inlink.com
Mon, 24 Mar 1997 20:09:09 -0600

----------
> From: SGrossner@aol.com
> To: pianotech@byu.edu
> Subject: Re:pitch raising-was "reply"
> Date: Monday, March 24, 1997 10:37 AM

> <<  I think by charging more and asking for more
>  money the first time discourages them for having it tuned as quickly as
we
>  recommend.  Like to talk more but the working day awaits.
>  Regards,
>  James Grebe from St. Louis
>  pianoman@inlink.com
>   >>
> James, I find that half of all pianos I approach are flat by a quarter
step
> or more. I go to lengths to explain all of the ramifications of my
approach,
> and I charge the same for each visit. However, I find that fully one
third of
> all these customers even tho they nod their head and seem to understand,
feel
> that the first tuning will suffice for their needs, rather than pay
twice. In
> otherwords, they fail to keep the second appointment. Maybe the other
> gentelman's approach to tuning several times the first time is cognizant
of
> this fact. Perhaps he feels it reflects better on him. Regards,Sam G.
chicago
I find that most new clients are people who have below pitch pianos due to
the fact that they did not know who to call, there was a lapse in time
between use of the piano (why tune it if no one is using it.)  Along with a
good explanation of why the pitch raise piano needs more tuning than normal
I have written pamphlets on the various technical subjects such as pitch
raising and give the a copy of such.  I would say out of 10 pitch raising,
maybe only 1 out of 10 do not follow thru with at least the 2nd tuning as I
make the appointment while I am still there.  On the 3rd tuning I tell them
that it is now up to them to call fro an appointment.  I have a paper that
I affix (yes, I do this) which keeps track of all service done on this
instrument from then on.  The average I find on them calling me for this
3rd appointment is about 50%.  You can't get them all.  On leaving my
identification in their piano with all the service dates and what I have
done (like pitch now and pitch when thru) it give them a running record of
their maintenance on their piano and in the future if they sell it ,proof
that they have maintained the piano.
I realize that this is a heated topic of debate.  Good talking back and
forth with you Sam.:)
James Grebe from St. Louis
pianoman@inlink.com