getting better?

James Grebe pianoman@inlink.com
Mon, 24 Mar 1997 19:58:30 -0600

----------
> From: SGrossner@aol.com
> To: pianotech@byu.edu
> Subject: Re: getting better?
> Date: Monday, March 24, 1997 10:37 AM

> << unlike the grands which I
>  find overly brilliant and tasteless, these verticals have a much more
deep,
>  dark, pleasant sound to them.  These are not brand new, they usually
take a
>  while to filter down to us independent tuners, and am wondering if any
of
>  you are noticing the same thing.
>  Regards,
>  James Grebe from St. Louis
>  pianoman@inlink.com >>
>
> I have noticed the same shallow, bright sound on many new grands. I am
> wondering if this is due to the rim of the case being some sort of
composite
> material laminated with that black shiny stuff. Could it be that the old
> hardwood rims tied it all together in some way? Cause the new stuff is
> souless to me on the whole. This includes much of the higher grade new
stuff
> with the one piece aliqouts. Anyone?  Regards, Sam Grossner- Chicago.
Dear Sam,
	As far as I know no one is using particleboard for rim assemblies.  It is
my opinion that this overly bright, harsh, "Orangy" sound comes from a
combination of extremely hard hammers, high string tension, with the
laminated soundboard.
Some of these hammers are so hard you can't stab a voicing needle into it.
This is only my opinion.  Anyone else have other theories?
James Grebe from St. Louis
pianoman@inlink.com