Hammer shanks (cont)

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Sat, 22 Mar 1997 06:07:21 -0800 (PST)

(Less Smith:)
>As regards those "oblong Shanks". I you look closely at the hammer
>heads, themselves, I think that you'll find that where the shanks
>come through on top, that they are round. That's how they started
>out, originally, and then they were shaped as you see them. I am
>unaware of anyone who offers the oblong shanks today (Hey, that
>doesn't mean that someone doesn't!),

I just finished replacing a set of shanks on a Steinway, using Abel shanks
from Wally Brooks, and the treble section was oblong. Maybe Wally would know
about other styles and makes that might be oblong?

Susan Kline, R.P.T.
skline@proaxis.com
P.O. Box 1651,
Philomath, OR 97370
(541) 929-3971

"Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious."