Steinway M problem

David ilvedson ilvey@a.crl.com
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 23:24:52 +0000

> Date:          Fri, 21 Mar 1997 21:51:26 -0600
> From:          Richard Moody <remoody@easnetsd.com>
> Subject:       Re: Steinway M problem
> To:            pianotech@byu.edu

I took an interesting class at a national convention sometime
back by Michael Mohr about what the bellyman does at Steinway
and why they are each unique.  Steinway's plates are cast in the
old fashion way with a sand mold into which molten cast iron is
poured.  Because this is not exactly a precise way to make a
plate, slight differences are formed from plate to plate.  The
bellyman is given a piano with an installed plate and strings
and his job is to match the action to whats there.  He fits the
stack(with wippens and hammers, shanks and flanges)  to the
keyframe aligning to the correct striking point using gauges
made of wood.  Then he slides a gauge under the #1 & #88 wippens
remember the keys don't have capstans yet) until the hammer is just off
the wippen cushion and at the correct blow distance.  Then he
marks the keys and draws line between them for the capstans.
The problem? (individuality) can arise when the ratio of the
front of the key to the balance rail pin and the balance rail
pin to capstan isn't in the optimum 2 to 1.  What seems strange
in the (Steinway M problem) is that if we look back on the
procedure at the factory, the wippen and capstan should line up
but you may have a heavier action or a lighter action.  Are we
sure nothing was done outside of the factory?

David ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA

marks the