hammer shanks

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Sat, 22 Mar 1997 01:28:52 -0500 (EST)

Boy, Richard, now we're really getting in to it! The flexibilty of
the hammer shank has definite impact upon the tone quality of a
given hammer. Different woods,  have different flexibilities and
hence a different impact on the tone quality. It works like this:
The more flexible the wood of the shank, the longer the hammer is
going to "cling" to the string upon impact. The longer the hammer
clings to the string, the more the higher, less desirable partials
will be dampened, and the more the lower, more desirable partials
will be emphasized. OTOH, the stiffer, or less flexible the wood
of the shank, the more quickly the hammer will rebound from the
string, thus exciting and emphasizing more of the higher, unwanted
partials, and less of the lower, more desirable partials. Many
older, instruments did use cedar shanks, a fairly flexible wood
when compared to something like maple. Often when these instru-
ments are rebuilt, using maple shanks, a hammer with a heavier
wood molding and a denser felt, the original tone quality is com-
pletely lost. In particular, I'm thinking of instruments like
19th century Steinway uprights, which frequently wind up sound-
ing worse, after being rebuilt, than they did before, when they
were still in original 100+ year old condition!

As to those oblong shanks you refer to, I believe, if you look