hammer shanks

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 23:52:46 -0600

To Les's observations below, I would like to add the importance of
the hammer shank.  I recently tuned a Wurlitzer grand (circa 1988)
with hammer shanks in the treble section that were not round but
oblong, or "skinny" in diameter in horizontal plane.  Perhaps words
fail  this  description, but these "narrow" shanks must have been
intended for tonal enhancement.  Was it  to reduce mass or increase
flexibility? I have also seen these shanks in earlier pianos.,
	Of course when replacing shanks in uprights we have the option of
which way the grain faces.  One way gives better strength, but the
other way gives less stress to the flange centers,(theoretically)
This is after we have culled of course. So which way is better and
why?  Does it really relate to how the bat is held in baseball?
	And  regarding upright shanks, in the old days there were maple and
cedar.(and probably birch)   Suppose I want cedar for the treble, can
I still get them?
	And could I get "narrow shanks" for grand replacements?

Richard Achipofftheoldlog Moody

> From: Les Smith <lessmith@buffnet.net>
> To: pianotech@byu.edu
> Subject: Re: Bechstein-restauration
> Date: Friday, March 21, 1997 5:45 PM
> snip
> So the wieght of a particular hammer depends upon BOTH the type of
> wood used for the molding and the density of its felt.
snip