Bechstein-restauration

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 20:17:32 +0000

Yes, your on the right tracks.  Les and Horace had described density to
you very well.  May I add though,  the customers requrements should be
taken in to account.  I misinterpretered a customers request on his
Bechstine he said it had lost its "umph" my neighbour has a lot of
"umph"  His neighbour had a brand new Yamaha which I tune.  Which is
very bright and lovely bass.  So I assumed he wanted a bright piano.
Boy was I mistaken it took me six months and a loot of visits to tone
those hard hammers down.  What he meant by umph he wanted a nicer bass
but he still wanted his Bechstein sound which is a soft mellow treble
compared with a Yamaha.

Some of the Bechstein Grands start at gage 13 at the top so a dense
hammer is not necessary to produce a quality sound.  That's why
personally on grands around the 1920 and down.  I tend to go for re-
covering rather than replacing,  it is a bit like buying a set of pre-
hung hammers the re-coverer matches the original felt so all you'll have
to do is replace the rollers and re-centrer the hammers plus they are a
little bit cheaper.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards,

Barrie.

In article <09151041200001@DEBCOM.BE>, Peter Kestens
<KESTENS.P@Debcom.be> writes

--

Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally Friendly
The UK PIano Page                              |