Steinway flat board

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 17:52:52 -0500 (EST)

Hi, Mike.

When you called me several years ago concerning a soundboard on a model B
we discussed at some length, whether or not it was still under warranty
as it was less than 10 years old. In telling me that no, it was no longer
under any kind of warranty, you left me with the distinct impression that
the warrantry had, in fact, been changed from ten years to five. The
phrase, "We're building them so good NOW, we only have to give five
years", was your own. Quite frankly, it was always my belief that up
until recent times, they did have a ten year warranty, apparently that
belief was wrong. It certainly wouldn't be the first time! I thank you
for taking the time to write to set the record straight. I hope that both
you and the members of the list are aware that I would never knowingly
spread mis-informaion about anyone. One of the great things about modern
technology in general, and pianotech in particular, is that it allows
this kind of instant communication between techs all over the world. Get-
ting the facts straight and in front of everyone is what is what it's
all about.

Although my preferences for older, late 19th-early20th century instruments
are no secret--that's what I've been playing, tuning and servicing and
rebuilding, virtually my entire life--you might be interested that HOW
Steinway is preceived today is quite inportant to me. Today you stand
virtually alone as a representative of the US piano industry at it's
very best. The other old great names that traced their roots to the
mid-19th century--like Knabe, Chickering, Steck, etc--have been gone,
in essence, since early in this century. In a world increasingly fil-
led with strange-sounding piano names like Yahama, Kawai, Young-Chang,
Samick and the like, it's good to know that at least one, Steinway, is
still around to remind pianists how it used to be.

Thanks, again, for writing.

Whenever piano technicians get together and talk about the great ones,
your fathers name is always mentioned.

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net