hysterical temperaments

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Thu, 20 Mar 1997 21:23:24 -0700 (MST)

Hi Danny:

The temperament which Virgil uses is a very accurate Equal Temperament.
His mode of stretch is what I try to emulate as well as doing a very
good temperament.

Your question about whether or not the Coleman4 Well would go with more
contemporary music is a good one.  Actually this Well Temp. is so mild
that no one would notice the difference except that it does seem to make
a piano sound bigger and cleaner, even in the more distance keys.  I know
that sounds hard to believe, but you just have to try it to see if you
like it.  I have used this tuning on a Baldwin SD10 in a Mega Church in
my town.  It is played regularly with a Rodgers Organ tuned in ET. It is
played with an orchestra etc.  Only the organist and I know that there is
anything different about the tuning, but the musicians all love the piano.
Part of that is that Rick Baldassin and Mike Spreeman of Salt Lake City
area recently did a beautiful job rebuilding the piano.

Modified Meantone is still a little too much for me, but I don't quite
know what you mean by Modified Well.

Jim Coleman, Sr.