factory warranty?

AKarab@aol.com AKarab@aol.com
Fri, 21 Mar 1997 00:58:18 -0500 (EST)

<< James Grebe wrote:

    I was told that this brand, "the Belarus" came with 'no' factory
   warranty.   Has anyone else heard of any new instruments that come
   with no factory warranty?

 Not only have I never heard of a new instrument being delivered with no
 warranty, >>

Actually, some (if not all--my experience is with Sherman Clay) Kohler &
Campbell (made by Samick) retailers purchase the warranty up to a certain
cap, so if its, for example, under $x (I wonder what that x is, per piano)
 of warranty problem, the problem does not go back to the factory, it goes to
the dealer to solve.  An interesting interuption of the feedback loop to the
manufacturer, and what looks to me like a dilemna for the dealer who wants to
preserve what little overhead is made on inexpensive pianos but still wants
to promote the integrity of the product/ image.

Audrey Karabinus,  Seattle