offsetting an SAT page

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Thu, 20 Mar 1997 10:34:39 -0700 (MST)

Hi Vince:

Being a bonafide dealer for Accutuners, I will take the risk of quoting
from the SAT manual without permission.

"A. Measure and store the stretch numbers for a piano.
B. Store the FAC tuning to a page of memory; go straight to A4 and tune
   all three strings
C. Switch to the TUNE mode by pressing the TUNE button.
D. Press OCTAVE down twice; set the cents deviation to zero so that
   the display reads A440.
E. Play A4 on the piano.
F. If the note is right on pitch, simply press MEM button, then tune
   the piano.
G. If the note is unacceptable, measure the pitch error with respect
   to A-440, and follow the instructions below.

For example: Let's assume A4 is 0.5 cents sharp. Store an offset that
will counteract the error, namely 0.5 cents flat. Do this by putting -0.5
in the cents window. holding the SHIFT button down and pressing the
RST button.  Now store the FAC tuning again (hold down STRETCH, hold down
MEM, release STRETCH, release MEM). The offset will be included in the
stored tuning, and A4 will be at 440 Hz exactly." page 24 SAT manual.

For any tuning for which you know the stretch numbers, you can reset to
any pitch you like. by merely using a reset different from the amount
used in the example above.  It works with -16 cents.  I just did it.
It just requires recomputing the tuning with the same stretch numbers,
but at a different pitch reset.

For tunings for which you don't know the stretch numbers, you may need
to change them individually. unless it is during the master tuning phase
of giving the tuning test.  In that case, there is a provision for
changing the entire master tuning to place the fundamental of A at 440.

Jim Coleman, Sr.