Steinway flat board

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 23:32:04 -0500 (EST)

Hi, Horace.

How long should a soundboard retain it's crown? It's all relative,
today, Horace. Relative to the length of the warranty! Let me ex-
plain. We've all seen vintage Steinways, Mason and Hamlins, Chick-
erings, Knabes, Stecks, Webers and other fine pianos which, today,
100 years later, still have measurable crown in their soundboards,
even in original, unrestored condition. But those instruments were
made back in the "Dark Ages" of the piano, technologically speak-
ing. Ny modern standards they were grossly--assumedly because of
ignorance-- over-engineered and over-built. In the century of en-
lightenment which has ensued, where modern instruments are able to
take full advantage of current mass-production techniques like com-
puter-aided design, multi-national out-sourcing, and a constant flow
of innovations which are constantly labeled "new and improved" but
really mean that someone found a way to do it cheaper--which in o-
day's world automatically means "better"--we have finally reached
that point in the evolution of the piano, that culmination of al-
most 290 years of progress since the first rudimentary design of
Christophori, where the manufacturer can now, for the first time,
accurately match the warranty to the design and quality of the
piano. In others words, a piano that carries a warranty of five
years, is designed to last five years and one day. A piano with
a ten years warranty, designed to last ten years and one day. It's
one of the miracles of modern piano technology! So when you ask
how long the crown on soundboard should last, it's all relative--
to the length of the warranty. No more of this nonsense about a
piano being so over-engineered and over-built that it will out-
last the warranty by a century, or so. Modern technology has cor-
rected THAT MISTAKE, alright!

Sound cynical?  You bet it is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net