bass bridge question

rhohf@idcnet.com rhohf@idcnet.com
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 16:34:45 -0600

I rebuilt a 6' Bluthner from 1898 within the last few years.  It had some
peculiar design features.  The plate had no cast member in front of the bass
bridge for hitching the low tenor strings. Instead, the strings of the lowest
10-15 tenor unisons went through "windows" in the body of the bass bridge and
hitched in front of the raised bass string hitch.  The bass bridge was very
insubstantial and had self-destructed into 5-6 pieces.  This type of bridge
with cracks is an ample source for buzzes.  The top two sections of my project
had no support for the rotating force on the pinblock.  The block (the tuning
pin part was one piece, solid beech) was collapsing at the front edge of the
tuning pin field and had rotated down considerably.  If your piano has a
similar design, let me know and I may be able to suggest possible solutions to
the problems.  In any case, I would not let down tension on part of the piano
only, and would not let down the tension at all without being prepared to deal
with the pinblock.

>I recently completed work on an 1885 Bluethner, which was actually pretty
modern by comparison with what I would normally work on.<

My Bluthner project was not the oldest piano I have worked on, but it did have
the most "pre-modern" design.  It had a glued-up frame with two bent-wood
panels on the outer rim. I would be interested in your comments relating this
sort of construction to that of forte pianos.

Incidentally, Mr. Bluthner gave a very interesting class at the PTG convention
in Dearborne last summer.  His comment, when asked about Bluthners of this
vintage was, "Let them die."

Bob Hohf
Wisconsin