bass bridge question

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 13:33:44 -0500 (EST)

Stephen writes;
> An unpleasant and short-lived rattle/buzz that has developed
>with mf or louder on three tenor notes. There are also two cracks that run
>right through the bass bridge apron, maybe a mm wide in places...the riser
>and bridge appear to be intact, but the apron is cracked right through. I
think the >cracks are probably the cause of the rattle, but, before tearing
>into removing the bridge and repairing it, I'd like some comments from you
>experienced modern piano guys if this is likely to be correct. I normally
>work with pianos that have no iron, let alone a plate, so I would also
>like to confirm that it is safe to remove all the bass strings at the same
>time, without causing damage to the plate.

Greetings,

    I would be concerned about the amount of stress/change you ask the plate
to withstand, ( if I understand it,  you have not replaced the strings??) but
I don't know how you might best guard against it, unless you remove all the
strings, and then check to see how the case and plate are fitted to each
other.  Seems like the older Bechsteins and Bluthners got a reputation for
brittle plates, but I cannot speak from personal experience in breakage. (
knock on wood)

    As far as the apron making the buzz,  before tearing into the thing,
perhaps several hardwood wedges  could be lightly driven into the cracks.  If
they are truly the source, this will alter the buzzing on those specific
notes.  If you cannot affect the noise by stressing the apron,  would it not
be more profitable to investigate elsewhere?

Good luck,  I  HATE rattles!!

Ed Foote