bass bridge question

Stephen Birkett birketts@wright.aps.uoguelph.ca
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 10:34:12 -0500 (EST)

I recently completed work on an 1885 Bluethner, which was actually pretty
modern by comparison with what I would normally work on. The main job to
be done was restoration of the original Bluethner action...an interesting
task, since many parts had to be re-fabricated. Anyway that job is
finished.

I would like a little advice on a problem that has developed with this
piano, that is essentially a "modern" piano problem...and beyond my
experience. An unpleasant and short-lived rattle/buzz that has developed
with mf or louder on three tenor notes. There are also two cracks that run
right through the bass bridge apron, maybe a mm wide in places...the riser
and bridge appear to be intact, but the apron is cracked right through. I
think the cracks are probably the cause of the rattle, but, before tearing
into removing the bridge and repairing it, I'd like some comments from you
experienced modern piano guys if this is likely to be correct. I normally
work with pianos that have no iron, let alone a plate, so I would also
like to confirm that it is safe to remove all the bass strings at the same
time, without causing damage to the plate.

Thanks for any advice.

Stephen Birkett

Stephen Birkett Fortepianos
Authentic Reproductions of 18th and 19th Century Pianos
464 Winchester Drive
Waterloo, Ontario
Canada N2T 1K5
tel: 519-885-2228