Hearing Aids and Voicing

TunerJeff@aol.com TunerJeff@aol.com
Mon, 17 Mar 1997 01:23:22 -0500 (EST)

Dear Folks,

     I'll add a comment to this thread. I've dealt with a few people who, in
the passing of years, have begun to lose the top end of the piano scale from
their personal acoustic range.

     What does that mean?
Simple. I had to open the piano and demonstrate that the top octave of the
piano actually had working parts & strings. They simply could not hear
anything beyond a "thunk" from the key being depressed.

     Rather than say; "Gee, you're really deaf aren't you?", I find it more
diplomatic to agree with the customer that the top end of the piano has
"little tonal character" or  that the strings are so short that there is "not
much response up there". This is a true place for diplomacy (ie; Lying with
tact.) instead of brutal honesty. I'm sure ya'll would agree, yes?

(Although Will Rogers defined diplomacy as; "The art of saying "Nice Doggie!"
until you can find a rock.", I do believe that there is another use for the
term...as suggested above.)

Your humble & ob't servant,
Jeffrey T. Hickey, RPT
Oregon Coast Piano Services
TunerJeff @ aol.com

ps- Concur with voicing the piano to owner's 'ears'. We are the
technicians... but the pianos belong to our clients. Have fun!
:>)