CAUT's Ethical quandry

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sun, 16 Mar 1997 19:03:04 -0500 (EST)

Greetings all.

Avery writes;
> If I had to advise the
>customer not to buy the piano, for whatever reason, I'm afraid it would
>damage my, so far, good relations with these dealers.

   Dang right it will!  It is far better to go on and inflict all the damage
necessary on the relationship ahead of time,  it saves hard feelings later.

    After several years of being asked to look at "rebuilds" done around the
area, I finally just told every dealer in my area  "Don't take this
personally, but I don't like ANYBODY'S work". ( I am an obsessive compulsive
type; I can barely let my own work go out of the shop! )
      So everybody here knows that I don't trust anybodies work to start
with, and we just take it from there.  All of these dealers continue to hire
me for evaluations and consultations at times, even warranty at others,  but
we have no misunderstanding about loyalty inre customers and the pianos.
     Area dealers are, for the most part, convinced that what I usually have
in mind is unreasonable for commercial trade,  but they know they can get an
unfettered, technical opinion when they need it.  This is a marketable asset.

Spouting on a Sunday,
Regards,
Ed Foote