CAUT's Ethical quandary

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Sun, 16 Mar 1997 14:17:47 -0500 (EST)

Avery,
Any  dealer should be able to withstand their pianos being
put under a bright light. If there is a problem, they may have
overlooked it.  This also keeps everyone on their toes.
For  whatever reason you may not recommend the piano,
the dealer can not blame you for the piano's inadequacy
or for their incomplete reconditioning. Or perhaps
you know the specific needs of the customer, which this
pianos will not fill.  A salesman will not necessarily try to
fulfill a specific need , rather the sale is his motivation.
We all know a salesman will tell you anything to make a sale.
(another pet peeve)  You have nothing to gain from the sale.
So the customer is requesting your objective view.
Look on the bright side, you might even like the piano;
think what that will do to your 'relations'.

What would a rejection do for your 'relations'?  Reinforce it,
they now know they can't sneak anything by you.
They will respect you for it and so will your customer.

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)