CAUT's Ethical quandry

Keith A. McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Sun, 16 Mar 1997 11:36:39 -0600 (CST)

>...I have been very reluctant to go to a store and
>evaluate (primarily) used pianos for an outside customer. If I had to
>advise the
>customer not to buy the piano, for whatever reason, I'm afraid it would
>damage my, so far, good relations with these dealers.
>   Am I being overly cautious? Could I have some of your generous feedback
>on this issue? Thanks.
>
>Avery

Avery, List,

Careful consideration of something is not necessarily being overly
cautious.  What you have posted here goes into another realm entirely.

Going onto someone else's property, whether it be a dealer or private
party, and deciding if what they have for sale is worthy, and then deciding
that it's not, is another game altogether.

Can be a very thin precipice, even when someone indicates, "No problem."

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731