CAUT's Ethical quandry

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Sun, 16 Mar 1997 10:30:37 -0600

List,

   I've been reading the current Ethical Quandry thread with interest.
Since this particular "wrinkle" hasn't been mentioned, I will.
   This would apply primarily to CAUT's, but how do you, as a full-time
employee of a university, feel about doing evaluations of a piano for an
outside customer at a dealer's store? In my case, I have relations, one way
or the other, with the three major dealers here: Steinway, Yamaha and
Baldwin/Kawai. FYI, these "relations" involve, at various times, leasing,
purchasing, loaning, store tuning (VERY rarely) and C & A work.
   Because of this, I have been very reluctant to go to a store and
evaluate (primarily) used pianos for an outside customer. If I had to
advise the
customer not to buy the piano, for whatever reason, I'm afraid it would
damage my, so far, good relations with these dealers.
   Am I being overly cautious? Could I have some of your generous feedback
on this issue? Thanks.

Avery

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music