PIANOTECH digest 889

Lkunsky257@aol.com Lkunsky257@aol.com
Sun, 16 Mar 1997 10:06:44 -0500 (EST)

Don,

I have run across to grand pianos with a sound I think is quite similar to
the "shimmer" you discribe.  In both cases it turned out to be the spring
inside the lock in the stretcher.  I stopped the noise by stuffing a piece of
polyester batting (part of a cotton ball would work, I'm sure) inside the
lock mechanism.  Press down on the striker plate with the eraser of a pencil
and stuff the cotton in around behind it.  Eureka!  No more noise.

Hope this helps.

Laura Kunsky