Damper puzzle

Warren Fisher fish@COMMUNIQUE.NET
Sat, 15 Mar 1997 23:26:23 -0800

Susan Kline wrote:

> Well, if it wasn't a floating rail, or the hangers, but the rod was hanging
> unevenly, that only leaves the retainers for the hangers. Bushing wadded up
> so the hanger was above or below a double layer? Screw hole for a hanger
> mount stripped, so that some _ignorant person_ made a new one the wrong
> place? A retainer put in UPSIDE DOWN for some inadequate reason? That groan
> usually comes when the action is shifting, which is why I guessed a broken
> action bracket. I'm beginning to think the groan is coming from all of us. :-)

You've got it Susan, It was the hanger bracket directly over the push
rod!
It was in perfect condition but not attached correctly!
 _________________________________ ___
|    bracket        (____________(____  \
|   __________________________    |   \  | Hanger
|  (____X___________________0_)   |   |  |
|_______^___________________^_____|   |  |
        |                   |
Screw was here        Not Here where it belonged

The screw was being stripped out, which caused the groan.  The movement
of the push rod and damper rod caused the bracket to swivel 30 degrees
counter-clockwise and the damper rod to bend away from the wood rail
causing the other end to do the opposite and the bass rod to mirror the
treble rod's movements. It really looked wierd!

But wierdest of all, was the fact that this was a factory installation
screw-up that apparently gave some satisfactory amount of service
initially before the twisting force of those hard stomps loosened it up!

Thanks for all the answers

Warren

It's fixed now!  I put 2 screws in that rascal.  It ain't goin' nowhere!

Warren

--
Warren D. Fisher
fish@communique.net