Ethical quandary

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Sat, 15 Mar 1997 22:37:10 -0500 (EST)

5% is an outragious commission to shell out for a referral.
Had they taken an active part in the sale by accompanying
the customer to the store and supporting the dealer in the
sale, this would have been justified. I could see $100-200
for just giving out a name as a professional courtesy.

It's bad enough to have the government reaching into our pockets.

I have referred many people to dealers and other techs for
purchases and not expected or demanded a commission.
I was glad to be able to help both parties.
I look at aiding customers with referrals as customer service.
I don't expect a fee from them. But if they want me to appraise
a piano, that's diferent.
In the 25 years I've been working on pianos, I've never had the
opportunity arise to collect money from two parties on the same
piano sale.  So the conflict never appeared.  Maybe if I had
persued my referrals I would have enough to get a faster computer.

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)

>It turns out that this technician was partially responsible for the
>customer's initial call to our shop, although more than one technician
>had recommended us.  Well the technician felt we should split the 5% >fee
with the other technician.   Settling for 2 1/2% seemed appropriate >to this
person.  Wouldn't  the customer who did the hiring want to know
>about the technician's 5% commission request? She did and was >indignant
that a $1,250 request was made for the small service >provided.