Help (please)! Voicing the Yamaha hammer

Bill Ballard yardbird@sover.net
Sat, 15 Mar 1997 12:24:42 -0500 (EST)

On 3/14/97, "Thomas A. Sheehan" <aquinas@nyct.net> rote:
<<I replaced the original hammers with a set of pre-hung Yamaha hammers,
with shanks and flanges attached. They are Yamaha DC7 hammers, but were
made prior to the newer Yamaha sound (kinder, gentler, _softer_ hammer).>>

This sounds like a situation where, in ordering the hams you might have
wanted to give the SN of a newer C7  (with that kinder, gentler, _softer_
sound) instead of the  actual SN of the older piano. Certainly this is
devious, but I don't think it would particularly bother Yamaha for their
database to pick up that a one or two year old CF7 was having its hammers
changed unusually early. (When in fact we know that the newer style
hammers was being installed on the older piano.) I see nothing wrong with
this step. It's literally an upgrade from a style of hammer which was too
hard  to the style of hammer which replaced it because it  sounded
better. By ordering using a newer SN instead of the original, you're
sending them the message that   hammers of the syle of that era simply
don't sound good, and aren't an appropiriate choice for someone looking
for a good sox
und in a critical situation. I'd say it's a message they
need to hear.

<<Any comments or advice from others who have been on this particular path
with Yamaha hammers would be most appreciated!>>

Steam heet, baby! One of my earliest experiences with the electric tea
kettle was on the Yam DC7 which I mentioned in that discussion on damper
noise in the 5/95 PTJ. The same ugly sound which you talk about. Steam
took care of 90% of the adjustment in felt matt, and the remainder was
all done at the crown , through the strings. (My caligraphy tool is now
8.5"  of 3/32 braising rod fashioned into a mute wire handle.)
Successful? The recording studios owner (a pianist of sorts) loved the
sound so much that he took the piano home to his living room, and the
studio had to buy another DC7. Risks? Your ears have to keep pace with
the speed at which steam can change things. As was said during the
original pianotech thread leading to the PTJ Forum digest "Alternative
Voicing Techniques", those us us who can use this technique succesfully
will be called in to replace the hammers for those who don't.
(Personally, I thought the Forum should have been titled, "Techniques
Which Work"....sorry, Steve....)

"Yuh need...(dup-dup-Snat-Snat) STEEEM Heat,  yuh need......."

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter

"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time
and  annoys the pig."  Sign on the wall of
a college voice teacher's studio.