Help (please)! Voicing the Yamaha hammer

John W. McKone mckonejw@skypoint.com
Fri, 14 Mar 1997 22:36:09 -0500

Tom,

My advice in this situation is this:  Go straight down into the crown, and
I mean deep.  Take the needle all the way in until it is about an 1/8 inch
from the molding.  Do this once in each string groove.  I know, I know -
this is hardly traditional technique, but I find it can really make the
sound bloom on hard Yamaha hammers.  Try it, you may like it

>Dear colleagues -
>
>I'm finishing up a hammer replacement on a Yamaha DC7 Disklavier in a
>recording studio. They're going to start using it on Monday. I replaced
>the original hammers with a set of pre-hung Yamaha hammers, with shanks
>and flanges attached. They are Yamaha DC7 hammers, but were made prior
>to the newer Yamaha sound (kinder, gentler, _softer_ hammer).
>
>These things are absolute bricks! I'm wanting to get that rich full
>"bloom" in the tone that I've heard in many Yamahas. Unfortunately,
>using the techniques that have stood me well on other Yamahas don't seem
>to be working here.
>
>I've done my needling very carefully and precisely, starting low down on
>the shoulder just above the reinforcement dye. Then, I worked my way up
>past 10 and 2 and then 11 and 1 o'clock positions. The needles were
>extended a measured 6 mm. I'm using #7 sharps in the beautiful Renner
>voicing tool. I've really mastered the Yamaha technique over the years:
>vigorous "punches" with the tool to drive the needles deep into the
>hammer. I can maintain accurate placement, sort of like a pianoman's
>version of mumblety-peg <g>. But there's still too much high partial
>content.
>
>I'm a great beliver in the traditional ways of voicing (although I do
>use Supertone instead of lacquer on Steinway hammers).
>
>I'm hesitant to needle the crown. However, would it be appropriate in
>this case, say with needles extended about 1 mm?
>
>Any comments or advice from others who have been on this particular path
>with Yamaha hammers would be most appreciated!
>
>Thank you very much!
>
>Sincerely,
>

>Tom Sheehan, RPT
>NYC Chapter