Help (please)! Voicing the Yamaha hammer

Keith A. McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Fri, 14 Mar 1997 22:11:46 -0600 (CST)

>...I'm hesitant to needle the crown. However, would it be appropriate in
>this case, say with needles extended about 1 mm?
>
>Any comments or advice from others who have been on this particular path
>with Yamaha hammers would be most appreciated!
>
>Thank you very much!
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Tom Sheehan, RPT

Tom, List,

What other options are there?  Steam the hammers, use Hammer Softener,
squeeze with some form of pliers, needle the crown...

So far I have used all methods except steaming to resolve brick like hard
hammers with the Softener providing the quickest results with minimal
follow-up needling.  Needling, in and of itself, is exhausting in these
type situations.  And squeezing very quick, but the results are extremely
uncontrollable.

By your description it would be appropriate to do whatever is necessary to
accomplish whatever you have determined is absolutely necessary and needed.

Another idea!!  This may be the time to try the Dremel tool, Yes!!!  I will
forward a recent post to you about this.

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731