Help (please)! Voicing the Yamaha hammer

robert moffatt piano service moffattr@cadvision.com
Fri, 14 Mar 1997 21:12:46 -0700

Thomas A. Sheehan wrote:

> I'm hesitant to needle the crown. However, would it be appropriate in
> this case, say with needles extended about 1 mm?
>
> Any comments or advice from others who have been on this particular path
> with Yamaha hammers would be most appreciated!
>
> Thank you very much!
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Tom Sheehan, RPT
> NYC Chapter
> aquinas@nyct.net

Tom,

Having gone through the rigors of Yamaha factory training, you seem to
have done every thing right to "Mother Yam" specs.........but stoped
maybe at the half way point.
When voicing a new set of CF hammers, (same applies to the DC7) deep
needle just as you are but in most cases, up to 25 strokes per hamer!
Sounds like a lot but listen to the results. I have found that a gentle
"pearling" with the 1mm needles over the top really completes the job
with asolutely no ill effect at all. In fact after you have opened up
the tone with the deep needling, the "pearling" can be done quite, often
especially in a concert or recording situation.
Don't be afraid....it works well.

Go for it!!

Regards,

Bob Moffatt