Cleaning Gone Bad

Dave Sanderson pianobiz@juno.com
Fri, 14 Mar 1997 20:51:27 -0500 (EST)

>>>      A very good client of mine "cleaned" her 1971 KG-2 Kawai grand
>which
>>

>Replace the whole set.
>
>        Newton
>        nhunt@jagat.com

Ditto from me as well.  Time to replace.  I once made an attempt at doing
the removal and running an overhand knot in the string back and forth.
My labor costs were very high doing this and way out of proportion to the
spotty improvement in sound. I've never done that again. .
There is only one "quick fix" to tubbiness which I have tried and does
work sometimes and IS worth trying (but given the extent of this damage
probably won't work).  That is to loosen the string a bit and really
whale on the loose string by playing the note vigorously.  It seems to
knock out the dirt and as the string is pulled back into place keep
whaling.  There is some improvement in tone without too much labor.  I
saw this tip in the PT Journal I believe and it does work.
David Sanderson
Littleton, MA
Pianobiz@juno.com