Pet peeves

Tom Myler TomMyler@worldnet.att.net
Fri, 14 Mar 1997 17:47:04 -0800

> From: jpiesik@arinc.com
> To: pianotech@byu.edu
> Subject: Re[2]: Pet peeves
> Date: Friday, March 14, 1997 10:52 AM
>
>      Ok, here's my pet peeve - this really sets me off:
>
>      A permanent marking on the plate, case, keys, bench, etc. with the
>      tooner's name, address, and/or phone number and the date and/or time

>      they tooned it.
>
>      I wonder how I would like it if I took my car in for an oil change
and
>      they used a screwdriver to scratch the date into the paint job?
>
>      John Piesik, RPT

YES !!!

I agree with you 100%.   I can't believe the amount of graffiti some tuners
 permanently inscribe on a plate,  exposed pinblock, keys, hammer moldings!
   Almost as bad is the business card, covered with finicky little
notations, glued to the plate so that a clean (no blemish) removal is
impossible.

BUT....Have you had this experience?   You open up a piano for the first
time, and on an otherwise perfect old plate you see written, in eternal ink
and barely legible handwriting, that John Doe tuned the piano however many
dozens of years  ago.  It's very ugly and conspicuous.  Irritated and
exasperated, you point it out to the owner (who is standing right there;
it's their first appointment with you, and they're interested) and say
"Geez, look at this" or something to that effect.  The tone of your voice
is saying: "Look at what some idiot did to this piano".

They peer into the piano, examine the scrawled notation, and say "Wow!
Look at that!  Isn't that interesting!"  They see it as a bit of history
that adds color to the instrument.

Oh well.  It's not my piano.

BTW,  I think your oil change analogy is perfect, provided that the
inscription is under the hood.

Myler, Tom

"Perhaps the greatest wisdom is the knowledge
of one's own ignorance"

                                 John Steinbeck