Pet peeves

DLLegg@aol.com DLLegg@aol.com
Fri, 14 Mar 1997 19:40:41 -0500 (EST)

John and List,

I agree that seeing multitudes of _permanent_ markings from previous
technicians is inconsiderate to the appearance of the instrument and
therefore to the customer.  I do a tremendous amount of player and reproducer
restoration where, during disassembly, the parts (pneumatics, valves, etc.)
must be kept in order.  When the parts need to be numbered I find it best to
use a soft pencil, write as small as possible and still be legible, and
locate these markings where they will not be visible after reassembly.  Seems
the same consideration is due for any piano.  Chalk for temporary markings
seems ideal since it is so easily removed when finished.  Unfortunately, we
are limited in our ability to change the bad habits of  technicians with
little regard for professional appearance of the job.  Maybe the subtle
suggestion of the alternatives (combined with appropriate timing) will start
to make a dent!

Debbie Legg     Dunedin, FL