tuning story

SGrossner@aol.com SGrossner@aol.com
Fri, 14 Mar 1997 16:38:17 -0500 (EST)

<< Protect yourself and your reputation from the BOZOS in the world!
 BTW. great story!

Les. My teacher used to say, "Stay away from certain pianos. They'll make a
bum out of you!" I assume you're talking about when they affixed the piano
bar while I was tuning it to the piano. fortunately, my horror stories are
few and far between. I have gotten quite good over the phone in determining
the clients dedication to seeing good work done and their level of respect
for me. If the whole conversation does not contain the word "thank-you" or
"do you have the time," etc. I get specific about details. Long pauses when
you ask how they intend to pay you, are a tip off too. One gal here in
Chicago recently asked me to inspect a piano prior to her buying it. She had
been referred to me by someone I respected. I told her the price and she did
not want to meet me at the piano. I asked her how she intended to pay. Long
pause followed by "I thought....trust!" I politely declined the job. It has
gotten to be an art determining who can and cannot be relied on to respect
you. Remaining polite is an art too. I don't ask for quiet anymore in noisy
situations. I merely say, "the quieter it is, the better a job I can do." Of
course, when it is time to critique the tuning, I request that all of the
attendant noises while I was working are supplied at the same time. I was
once called in to tune a piano and check out a serious buzz. The son was
there, shall I say a man of a different "persuasion." The previous tuner had
found the buzz, told them it was irreparable soundboard damage and offered 2K
for their Steinway grand. I found and removed the marble and tuned it. When I
got home, there was a message from their "son" that I had scratched the
fallboard when I had indeed not. I did not return the call. That's the thanks
you get sometimes for saving a piano! Maybe I should have added a marble, but
that's not my "schtick" I've managed to cut down the bogus work to about nil.
I also wonder at times how I am going to pay the bills. Thanks for your
comments. this post is too long. Sam G.