Cleaning Gone Bad

jpiesik@arinc.com jpiesik@arinc.com
Fri, 14 Mar 1997 08:27:11 -0500

     Dear List,

     A very good client of mine "cleaned" her 1971 KG-2 Kawai grand which
     is (was) in excellent condition.

     During her zealous attempt at cleaning she scratched the soundboard,
     bent the damper wires, loosened the windings on several bass strings,
     and polished the strings with liquid metal polish!

     Several bass string windings now rattle, and several bass strings are
     dead (loaded up with polish).

     Is there a reasonable way to restore the original bass strings, or is
     it time to replace them? (She's willing, but reluctant to replace
     them.)

     I may be able to eliminate the rattles by twisting. But I'm not sure
     twisting them will get rid of the deadness caused by the polish. And
     won't the polish that is now on/in the strings be a permanent magnet
     for dust and dirt, continually causing the bass strings to go dead
     over the years? Have you ever encountered something like this?

     What would you suggest?

     Thank you,

     John Piesik, RPT