tuning story

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Thu, 13 Mar 1997 22:08:47 -0500 (EST)

Sam. One of the great things about pianotech is that it lets tech-
nicians share "war stories" like yours with other technicians. Only
another tech, who's been their too, can synpathize and share with
you your sense of dismay and frustration when being asked to per-
form nder conditions such as you describe. The real kicker, in a
situation like that, is that later, if the pianist complains about
the tuning, no one will remember the conditions under which you
were asked to tune. Instead, they're likely to say something like,
"You know, I wonder of Sam's ear is going. I don't think this tun-
ing sounds as good as those he used to do"! There's no Jusitce!
One thing you can do, in a situation like that, is to tell whoever
is in charge that you need quiet in which to work. Offer, if possible,
to come back later to do the tuning, but tell him that not only
will he have to pay full price, but that he will have to pay for
for the extra service call RIGHT NOW! If he refuses, and insists
that you tune under adverse conditions, WRITE IT DOWN ON THE RECEIPT.
Protect yourself and your reputation from the BOZOS in the world!
BTW. great story!

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net