A Service Experience

jpiesik@arinc.com jpiesik@arinc.com
Thu, 13 Mar 1997 08:25:44 -0500

     Hi List,

     I want to share an experience I had last night while servicing a
     Yamaha C7 at a local church:

     The pianist was complaining about B above middle C sticking. I
     couldn't get it to stick, but I pulled the action, anyways. Turned out
     to be a tiny screw from one of the music desk hinges had worked itself
     out and between the keys, wedging itself periodically. The hole in the
     music desk was stripped, but a little chunk of popsicle stick placed
     into the stripped hole held the screw tight again.

     I learned again the importance of keeping screws tight in stage pianos
     (and all pianos, for that matter). Such a simple, seemingly trivial
     thing - but so important!

     Choir practice was being held while I was servicing the piano. Pulling
     the action turned out to be a real crowd pleaser! Several folks
     stopped by to "check it out." Needless to say, I passed out over a
     dozen business cards to people, including two piano instructors and a
     music director for another church.

     Did I mind the distracting noise produced from the choir's practice in
     the back rooms? No way, as a matter of fact, I think I'll schedule the
     next tuning on Sunday during first church service! (kidding)

     If you're servicing a piano where there are several people lingering
     about, consider pulling out the action! People love it. (And it's
     sometimes good for business.)

     Thanks for letting me share,

     John Piesik, RPT