Soft pedal spring

Thomas D. Seay, III t.seay@mail.utexas.edu
Thu, 13 Mar 1997 06:33:37 -0600

>I really appreciate your input, all of you. I should have mentionned that
>the piano was new (6 months). Before I concluded that the spring was at
>fault I did lubricate all contact points and that helped a little. I left
>the piano as it was and told the customer I was going to consult "THE LIST".
>I'm really glad that I've found very reasonable answers.
>
>Thank's again to all.
>
>Marcel Carey, RPT

Sometimes just lubricating the contact points is not enough to reduce
excess friction in the una corda although, as you mentioned above, it will
help a little and should not be overlooked.

Using a fine grit sandpaper, you might try LIGHTLY sanding the keyframe
where it contacts the keybed, but not enough to cause knocking or change
the bedding. LIGHTLY sand the area of the keybed upon which the keyframe
moves and sand the side of the action where the return spring makes
contact. Also polish the ends of the return spring where they contact the
action. Treat all those surfaces with Pro-Lube or similar and you should
eliminate much of the excess friction. Check the movement of the action
with the una corda pedal and then weaken the spring if necessary.

Good luck.

Tom Seay
School of Music
The University of Texas at Austin