Repetition problem

S. Brady sbrady@u.washington.edu
Tue, 11 Mar 1997 20:53:48 -0800 (PST)

I think Newton is right on about this (as usual). I might add that it
sounds as if the problem might be too much key lead for hammers that have
probably become too light. If your upweight is less than 20 grams, this is
almost certainly the case. The reason I say this is that some people call
the action too light, others call it too heavy. With all that lead in the
keys, it will feel light and easy in certain types of playing, but will
fight back and feel heavy in other types of playing (excessive inertia).
If your friction (dw-uw)/2 is much below 15 gms and yet upweight is lower
than 20, you might want to remove a lead from each key. Try taking out the
one closest to the balance rail. Ideally, you'd want to re-weigh the
keyboard when you do this (see Newton's article in the March PT Journal).
The repetition would be better without the damper pedal depressed, because
the weight of the dampers on the ends of the keys might aid in getting the
keys back up. (SWAG)

The other possibility is that the dampers are adding excessive weight to
the touch, and so the action feels lighter with the pedal down. In any
event, I would do a thorough touchweight analysis before going any
further.

Steve

On Tue, 11 Mar 1997, Newton Hunt wrote:

> Touch weight may be too light.  Check the down weight and the up weight
> without dampers.  If the average of the two is 35 or less it is too loght.
>
> If down minus up devided by two is greater than 12 you have a friction or
> geometry problem.
>
> Check that the line from balance pin to wippen pin passes through capstan
> wippen contact when key is half depressed.
>
> Check these things and let me know what you find.
>
>         Newton
>         nhunt@jagat.com

Steve Brady, RPT
University of Washington