THE POWER OF THE LIST.

Charles K. Ball ckball@mail.utexas.edu
Tue, 11 Mar 1997 20:02:39 -0600

Dear Barrie,

I very much enjoy your posts and am glad for your participation from the
UK.  Your report of intimidation by manufacturers and/or suppliers is truly
alarming to me, and am sure that it will be to others as well.  I have a
similar report from another European tech who recently withdrew from the
list and changed his E-mail address in response to intimidating posts.

It might be that the techs who use this list will want to consider a
response to this situation.  If so, it would be helpful if you were to
share the names and possibly even the posts that you refer to.

I, for one, would look most unfavorably upon any such intimidation and
attempt to suppress free expression by the technicians on this list.

Are there others here who feel the same?

At any rate, if you do not want to share this information I would
understand; but it will be difficult to find an appropriate response if we
do not know who is responsible for such messages.

Regards,

Charles

>Over the last two years as a guest on  this list, it has provided me
>with some very useful information.  I have enjoyed contributions from
>the mighty and the humble, I was at first impressed by the presence of
>manufacturers either by stealth, or up front.
>
>Also, I have seen some excellent technicians leave this list,   through
>private pressure email. These technicians have one thing in common, they
>were highly intelligent and very articulate.  Highly intelligent and
>articulate individuals rise above childish hate mail.  However,
>Corporate hate mail is a different matter.
>

>The power of this list is ennormous, not just as a teaching aid but as a
>forum to change the direction of the piano trade.  Unfortuneatly, the
>manufacturers and suppliers whether  here by stealth or upfront also
>realised the power this list.   _They do not like it._ Recently, myself
>and others who have posted suggestions and posible future problems,
>regarding pianos in general.  Have felt the wrath of  said
>manufacturers,  be they in stealth or upfront they  have emailed
>individuals  with warnings and threats.
>
>Eventually if this continues,  the list will become at best, stagnated
>and the members will  closed ranks.  At worst it will die.  Which will
>be a great shame as in the  two years  I have seen the list change from
>a vibrant exciting forum,  to what it is becomeing.....
>

>--
>
>Barrie Heaton

Charles K. Ball
ckball@mail.utexas.edu